keskiviikko 28. marraskuuta 2012

111m bungee jump and other activities at Victoria Falls


I have forget to describe this heat what we have faced in Malawi past 2,5 months so let me do it now. When we woke up at the morning it is really hot, even though we have sleep with our windows open. So when we drink our morning tea and put our uniforms on it's coming pretty warm. But that warm is nothing comparing to that heat when we walk to the hospital and then I am feeling so HOOOOOOOT that I am fully covered with sweat. That feels like I would have really big pee on my pants or maybe better way to say I feel like I am like ”uitettu rotta” like Elina said, that means in english ”drowned rat” :D Some evenings the sweating is so bad that even that I take as cold shower as possible and after a few minutes I am again covered with sweat, so I feel like I would even took a shower except my hair is still wet :D Those days I just want to lay down on my bed and don't move even a muscle, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't help then I am going to take three to four showers in those evenings :D :D :D hahahaha. This heat is sometimes too much for me. Anyway this is challenging and I like it. I like the heat but without sweat,! I don't like to wash my clothes everyday :D

Okey two weeks ago we joined one students lesson. In this class there was something like 180 students! All those students were part of one class! Amazing how many they were :D Actually in kcn there is first year students in one class about 200, second year students about 180 (those whose lesson I did joined) and third year students about 100 etc. So classes in Malawi are REALLY BIG ONCE! Teaching methods are pretty much same as we have in Finland except that these students must do all the time presentations that is how they learn and when they are doing presentation teatcher is interupting them ALL THE TIME. Or that teacher was... :D His voice was just like a microphone! And I think that he was a bit rude to students like when one student was saying something and of course when there is almost 200 students she should almost yell that everybody can hear her so teacher said ”WHAT?! I can see that your lips are moving but there is coming no voice out! Could you please say something! Your voice is as loud as mices voice!” That is so different! I can see status different between malawian student and teacher and finnish student and teacher – and it is huge! In Finland you can doubt about everything what teacher say and ask for arguments but in Malawi you couldn't even think about doubting what teacher have said even that you were thinking if that really is true! :D

When our holiday started also rainseason started :D hahahaha! That is so my luck! My first holiday day I went to crosroad hotel's swimming pool and I swam smth like 3 hours and then started to rain, so we thought with Elina that when it is raining should we just wait that rain would stop or perhaps should we took some beauty salon services – and so we took some manicure and pedicure ;) what a lovely holiday start was that :D just relaxing when a lady was masaging my hands ;)

feeling tired for travelling 13hours in a bus..
Unfortunately there wasn't any other people going to Victoria falls and South Luangwa National Park so we took our own trip to Lusaka by bus and continue our trip from Lusaka to Livingstone by bus. (And we also saved something like 700€ when we took our own trip to Sambia!!!) Actually the trip to Lusaka was about 13hours sitting in a bus from Lilongwe to Lusaka! And from Lusaka to Livingstone about 7 hours. First bustrip was quite interesting, I had my big bag with me and because it's africa in a bus racks were really small once so our bags couldn't fit there, so we had to sit with our bag at our legroom for 13hours! And ofcourse there was also some food bags under our sits so that they did fall to our legroom's while we had sit there something like 5 hours.. so I can tell you – there was basically no space for legs at all!!! :D After sitting there for 13hours and going to Lusaka backpakers get a dormetory room it was REALLY nice to just lay down and eat! Yeah, we did stop maybe few times but we didn't really have big stops so that we could really eat something. Actually our biggest stop was at the border where we had to first check out from Malawi and then we went back to a bus and drove maybe 50m?! And then we had to chek in at Zambia side and of course change some malawian kwachas to zambian kwachas so that we could pay the visa. Yeah, it was quite funny afterall. We were thinking with Elina that why we just didn't walk that trip? Why we have to drive that 50m :D

As soon as we reached Zambia I saw the difference between Zambia and Malawi and how poor people really are in Malawi. In Zambia there is even double-decker houses and even apartment buidings! So amazing! In Malawi I have seen only ONE apartment building and that was that 5 star hotel at the Lilongwe. And now in Zambia there is so many apartment buildings! Amazing! Second thing what I saw was of course when we are girls – shopping malls! SHOPPING MALLS!! There is nowhere REAL shopping malls in Malawi! No where! But now when we drive through Lusaka's center we saw at least 3 BIG shopping malls! And then third thing was lights – there is lights. Much of traffic lights and of course street lights when it's dark just like we have in Finland, but in Malawi no way! When it's dark there is no people anywhere, no lights – nothing. But now when it was quite dark when we came to Lusaka there was much of people at the streets and lots of street lights and much more cars! So I was thinking that how can anyone have a culture shock in Zambia, in Lusaka if even we haven't got any in Malawi where life is REALLY different than what we are used to. Zambia seems to be more westernized than Malawi, even people are dressed more like in western countries. Zambia is really much more richer than Malawi, I hope that there is not so big breach between rich Zambian people and poor Zambian people. I feel that in Malawi there is some rich people but most of the people are with average circumstances and then there is much poor people but I feel that there is not so big breach between people with average circumstances and poor people in Malawi. I hope that I felt right way :) After being in Lusaka 1,5 days we continue our trip to Livingstone. It was much more enyouable trip – only 7 hours in a bus with 2 small 10min stops. We stayed in Jollyboys and it is really nice place to stay. Actually it is quite international place – almost all who did stayed in Lusaka backpakers did went to Jollyboys as well. We stayed there in a private room what was really nice. And there was also a swimming pool! Not that I would really need it when it was quite cool, but of course I had to use it just because we had one at our lodge!

Victorian Falls – amazing even between dryseason and rainseason! Just so awesome! It's definetly worth to see even in a dryseason! If you ever get a change to came to Zambia or Zimbabwe you have to go to see them. It is so worthy! They said that after rainseason Victoran Falls are really full of water and you even can feel the water when you are walking at the top. It was a bit clammy even that there was not so much of water so I definetly wonder how clammy it would be in the spring or June when it is full of water?! We also saw the difference between one day of raining and it was huge! First there was only a couple of waterfalls here and there but now we saw quite many of them in one spot! Amazing how much 12+hours raining would really do to the waterfalls!

When I went to Malawi I knew that in Victoria Falls you may do some activities but I wouldn't NEVER EVER believe that I WOULD DO BUNGEE JUMP! To be honest I did seriously think about doing it about 3 days before. One of my teacher in KCN had told me but I wasn't really thinking of doing it for real. Just joking like yeah right I will do that when we are going there. But when I talked with my friend who did encourage me to do it I started to thinking about it for real. And when I heard that two guys from Australia was going to do it then I was seriously thinking that I would join them. So one thing leads to another and so happened that I booked my ”air package” at monday morning and so happens that I did do bungee jump very first time in my entire life! Ah man! Our air package included zipline, bungee jump and bridge swing. Never ever scared so much and never had so much fun at the same time! It was like winning my fears! First I do the zipper – so I did went from Zambia to Zimbabwe with a zipperline. It was pretty cool as well. And the view was so amazing at the middle of the trip! Then second was bungee jump. I still can't believe that I did jump 111m upside down! Actually I did scream even before jump so I could say I did really SCARE! Hahaha. But afterwards it was so amazing - even that I had to keep my eyes closed because otherwise I would throw up because of all swing and dangle upside down :D I did open my eyes once and then I felt so nausea and that I would soon throw up so I had to close my eyes and focus that I wouldn't :D. I was first women who did bungee jump and I was proud of myself! I am the winner.... lalalalalaaa!!! :D Everyone who know me know that I am very easily encourage to do something crazy, extreme and wild things :D I quess that I am kind of YLLYTYSHULLU!!! :D Never wouldn't believe and the pictures look so unreal – me jumping?! WHAT?! OMG! I DID IT!!!!!

zipline from Zambia to Zimbabwe
swing
111m bungee!

swimming when it's heavenly raining :D
I also enjoyed the rainseason on my own way – swimming on the swimming pool while raining! Hahahaa! That is really crazy Finnish girl who definetly enjoy doing crazy, awesome, extreme, wild things like bungee jump! COLORADO you are next! :D Also something crazy happens to Elina – baboon stole her bag! :D Hahaha! It was quite fun after he had took all her stuff out of the bag and ate two lollipops. We were wondering with two australian guys that why did baboon took Elina's bag when she had only 2 lollipops which doesn't really smell at all while the other guy had an apple and other guy had some müslibar?! Maybe he just smell something and Elina was good target?! :D Anyway when baboon had eat all Elina's lollipops he went away and then Elina got all his stuff back :D Well, all her stuffs was on the ground and her bag was up-side-down but anyway, baboon didn't broke anything what is really good. Luckily Elina did gave her bag to baboon because one man told us afterwards that this baboon is a bit dangerous – it may also bite if it doesn't get the bag, so luckily Elina did gave the back to it!

Yesterday we went to Livingstone Island walk and afterwards we ate very nice perhaps our FIST real breakfast in Africa. :D First we got a free transport to one 5 star hotel and what a shock was it when we came to that hotel and heard first time in 2,5 months finnish! And it also felt very weard to talk finnish :D haha. Then we took a boat ride to vic falls top and the view was really amazing! First I wasn't going to swim because it was a bit cooler day, but because our guide told us that it is once in a lifetime experience to swim in a devil pool so I decide to do it even that I am not really really good swimmer but I do enjoy it. Water was pretty brown because it had rained day before yesterday about 13hours! Water flow was pretty high there and there was only a few ropes at the edge of vic falls, what also makes it feels a bit dangerous and same time quite fun! Only that we didn't really saw where rocks are because water was brown so we had to swam exactly after our guide. When we finally reached the devil pool I was a bit nervous.. ”öm,öm,öm... You want me to jump to the edge of vic falls?! Without anything saferopes or anything?!” But because one spain girl did jump there I also did. And then I saw that there was really some big rock what make us staying in a devil pool and not to fall down with water falls :D Ugh, it was pretty crazy to swim at the edge of vic falls! I wonder how someone had got enough
courage to jump there to find the devil pool? Nature had made it anyway... :)



I was planning to post my blogg yesterday but unfortunately we got really big blackout what tooks perhaps 2hours! It was maybe longest one we had got here for now, actually we had got longest blackouts here in Zambia than we have faced in Malawi! In Malawi we have got only maybe max 1-2 min blackout but now we got about 2 hours blackout!! :D But it was pretty nice just to hangout and in a candlelight and chat with our new australian friends :) And planning what to do for next days ;)

And today was also quite nice day. We took a helicopter flight over victoria falls! And what an amazing view it was. It took only about 15 min, but it was worth it. It was also our first time to be in a helicopter. Helicopter did arise much faster than an aeroplane but it was quite nice and noisy! :D hahaha. Tomorrow we are planning to do some volunteering here in Livingstone in some orphane home :) Like reading a book or playing with kids.. <3 Let see what we can do, how much do they understand us :) I am also planning that someday I will come back for a couple of months for volunteering in a orphane home, that would be my dream to help these poor kids who doesn't have parents anymore. Most of orphanes are orphane because of HIV/AIDS. Parents have died
for AIDS..








.

1 kommentti:

  1. :D Olet kyl ihan kreisi! Benjihypyn menit sit tekemään!!! :D Oli kyl hauskat jutut ja hyvät kuvat! ps. skypee käytä välillä

    Terv. Jarski

    VastaaPoista