maanantai 19. marraskuuta 2012

Amazing, confusing, life changing life in Africa!


I can't believe that these amazing, life changing experience in Malawi is soon coming to the end! I have only 2 days clinical practice left and then only 2 weeks holiday! What a shame is that! Everyday I love Malawi and Africa more and more. Past few days I have been thinking about what am I gonna do when I am at home, my whole life is different now. I don't really know what I am gonna do in my life, but I know that these experience was just the beginning of doing something great for God. He has showed to me so many things here, my heart is so so so BROKEN.. These people here in Africa are so poor that they don't have clean water and they cant afford for buying food or water, so how could they afford buying clothes what we are sending to them from our countries for FREE. I wouldn't NEVER EVER think that they have to buy those clothes... But the thing is that even that these people doesn't have money they are happy! You don't really see anywhere people who would look really sad, or depressive or anxious. I wish that people could feel so accepted in Finland, than I feel when I am here in Malawi. Everyone is everybodys friend, you don't have to go anywhere alone or without talking to nobody, there is always someone who to talk with. Because people do talk with random people! Most of the people are so full of life that we should take as an example how much better life would be without material. Seriously if you would compare a child with a brick-toy and a child with a superfancy electrical car and hundreds of other toys, you will see the difference. I have seen the difference. And it is HUGE, there isn't enough words to descibe it! I don't really know what to say, my mind is so confusing right now... I don't know should I laugh or cry, at least I know how much God is taking care of me, how great He is!

Okay, that was maybe a bit depressive so let me tell you something funny. Last weekend I went to my friend's room just to say hello to him. He was playing chess with his friend. We talked just something random, and somehow the subject did came to me. So my friend sayed smth like ”she is getting fat” and the other boy said ”no, she doesn't look like that” and my friend ”oh, yes he is! You didn't see her when se came to here!” I was having so much fun, I did laugh for these two boys conversation about my weight! If they would have this conversation in Finland I may be would be a bit hurt, but I was just laughing to them. The thing is, men like more girls who are fat. Or that's what students have told to me. If you are fat, you are able to get a good man. How odd is that! I think that men are thinking also that if woman is fat she has money, and maybe also the other way.

So last weekend there was a disco in our campus. My friend asked me to go there, so we went. I haven't been dancing like that since I gave my life to Lord and I think that in Finlad if someone ask you to go there you would go there with him and then you probably wouldn't dance together. So I wasn't prepare to dance with him! I didn't understand that of course you have to dance with him when you are going to the disco with him... so I did dance a few songs with him but my disco ended pretty fast because someone hit me on my BUT! And it really hurted. Anyway I didn't feel very well there because I was only white girl there so I felt that I am on a spot because everyone was staring me. So I decided that this was it, I wanna go to sleep.

2 weeks ago I was in a burns unit, it was really great week! Even that the ward was pretty quiet I did enjoyed to be there. I did saw really huge wounds, I haven't EVER seen so big wounds before. Some of them was a bit gross but I don't know why somehow I just wanted to stared the wounds :D One man had a wound on his lower leg and the leg was about three times bigger than the other (bloated)! I am not going to describe how it did looked but I can say that some sensibles would ran away and I just wanted to stared that wound....hahahaha. Weard, I know. Last week I was in ICU that's intensive care unit, and I felt that it is more like monitoring room. First students didn't really record much of patients but then when the nurse in charge did said about that so they had to change a tactic. Students anyway feels to be really lazy, or maybe it's not just students rather all malawian's! They wake up really early and then they drive like crazy to get to work and when they finally are there then they just sit and watch some videos, play games,be in facebook or chat! It's just so odd... I had one patient with one student so we did bedbath to her and that took maybe like 2hour at first day because qualified nurse must see that we can do it. So we did that, and then after that student said to me that she is so tired. I was so suprised, in Finlan we would do those like maybe with 6 patient. So I was really suprised that how she can be tired when we had done only one bedbath. Anyway it was really nice to be in ICU, and see what is intensice care in Malawi. Actually I found out that most of those patients are there because of the husband. My patient was lying on the bush about 2 days because husband was trying to kill her. So nurses and doctors said to me don't get married if you don't want to end up like this. Hahahaha, very funny!


Hmmm.... Liwonde! Oh my gosh, it was amazing! We did saw so many animals which are in jungle book and lion king! I was even a bit feeling like I am female Mougli :D We did went there by minibus, because we don't wanna spent all of our money for taking a couch and big busses leave when they are full so you maybe have to wait something like 3 hours, like we did when we was going to Dedza few weeks ago. So we took a minibus, and it left like 30min after we went there and it took only 4,5hours to Liwonde. So it was pretty ok. Even that it was totally ful, and there was some foodbags and a bike behind us and a woman next to Elina couldn't lean on back rest :D haha. We haven't still get any bus drivers who would drive like a crazy – maybe because I always pray before we leave that bus driver will drive us safetly to and nothing bad is going to happen. And he has drive quite safetly and nothing bad hasn't happened. And that is not just a coincidence, not for 6 times contiquous!


When we arrived to Liwonde we did call to Liwonde safari camp to pick us, that was the place where we were going to stay. They did pick us, with a real safari car! How awesome was that! ;) That place felt just like we would be in the wild! First night we went to a sightseeing towel where we could see the elephants and other animals, if they would past us. It was a bit scary but at the same time excited when it became really dark and we heard some noices all over us but didn't see anything. We stayed there something like 3 hours but elephants didn't came. Unfortunately I did slept in a bed where was ants..pretty much, so they marked my left hand :D But I didn't mind, next night I just change the bed. In that safari camp there was no electricity so, we did have to use only candles and our flaslight. Somehow darkness made me feel tired so I was fully sleep when it was 10 o'clock! And then I woke up at 6 and I was fully awake :D At Saturday we went to game drive and it was fun. We did saw elephants and lots' of bumbas and some bambis.... it was so much of fun. But the heat, it was just so awfully hot! But luckily we had a bar where we could took cold drinks and of course showers, but there didn't came so cold water..but anyway it did fresh a bit. At afternoon we took a walking safari with a guide of course! We did walk just so close to elephants that I was pretty freeking out. The guide said that if he say that we must run then we must really run. But luckily elephants didn't see or smell us so we didn't need to run. It was so amazing excited! :D


Last night I did went to sleep like 9 o'clock and then I was fully awake at 4.30! And sun was shining already! So I get up and went to sightseeing towel to taking pictures at 5 o'clock in the morning!!! I haven't NEVER EVER wake up so early, some days I have go to sleep that time but never woke up :D amazing how I have became early bird when it is so fully agains me! :D 4.30! Omg, what is wrong with me! Hahaha.. I would say that in that safari camp there was only one minus – ordering food takes soooo long. Like at sunday we orders a breakfast 20 past 5, and it took something like 1 hour to make them for us. Of course I do understand that they have to heat anthrax, but anyway.. So we were a bit because of our breakfast did came so late. We took a boat safari at sunday and it was also so great. We saw hippoes and weard birds, and crocodiles! At the river there was also much of fisher men, and the view was so amazing! Ah... I can't waiting untill next weekend when we are going to Sambia to Livingstone to see Victoria falls and animals.... Ahh. Let the picture's speak for one's part!!!!!




1 kommentti: